Wednesday, June 29, 2011

South Africa

I always get excited when I try something new from the Passages winery because my good friend Ron and his wife Charlayne founded it fourteen years ago. The couple lives in South Africa for half the year and on Martha’s Vineyard for the other half. They source grapes from a vineyard known for high quality fruit in the coastal region of the Western Cape.


I just tried the 2010 Passages Chardonnay from South Africa. It is a fresh, un-oaked wine with lots of acidity and citrus (almost like a Sauvignon Blanc). I love all the variations in Chardonnay that come from winemaking. This is particularly true because I’ve found Chardonnay to be a varietal that people tend to “swear off” after trying only a handful. It is so remarkable how different wine can be depending on how it is made!

So whether or not you think you’re a fan of Chardonnay, be sure to pick this one up and give it a swirl! It’s great for summer and a real steal at $14 retail. I recommend pairing it with oysters and shellfish.

Cheers!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment