Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Castlemans Tasting

I came to Nantucket to see Jerry's wines. His portfolio is priced on the higher end but even so a few wines really stood out for me. He really does have some of the best wines of any distributor I buy from.

One of the home-run wines he showed me was the 2009 Odisea Wine Company "Angele". It was an off-dry white Rhone from California. With bright acid to keep the wine fresh, I love its bold apricot & banana flavors.

Another was the 2007 Jack "Burning Creek" Pinot Noir from Santa Rita Hills, CA. A great QPR (quality to price ratio) wine for Jerry, this should retail for about $35 - $40. The wine was full of ripe fruit and spice, still holding up well for a 2007!

2005 was an amazing vintage in Burgundy. It's rare to taste these wines and Jerry only had a few. I loved the 2005 Chateau Genot-Boulanger Mersult 1er Cru "Les Boucheres." It has so much fruit, finesse and power in one that I wish America could make wine like this! Its great waxy characteristic prolonged into the finish! At $85 a bottle, it's not cheap. But good white burgundy never is. Thanks for the great wine Jerry!!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment